Who we are looking for
The State Street Cyber Architecture & Engineering team is looking for a Senior Data Platform Engineer, Cyber Data Science. The Cyber Data Science team delivers models, insights, and tooling to help Cybersecurity teams make faster, more informed decisions as we work to secure State Street’s digital footprint. As a Data/Analytics Engineer, you will develop the data flows, analytics pipelines, and production machine-learning systems — in collaboration with data product managers, architects, engineers, and other team members — to create analytics & ML-driven data products that support our mission to build predictive models and intelligent systems that help secure State Street’s information and infrastructure. We have multiple openings for this role and it is open to candidates with varying levels of experience.
What you will be responsible for
As a Senior Data Platform Engineer, Cyber Data Science, you will:
- Collaborate across a variety of teams to enable our Data Platform and MLOps needs and design, implement, and maintain a secure and scalable infrastructure platform spanning across AWS/Azure and our Data Center
- Use Infrastructure as Code and containerization to create immutable reproducible deployments and establish best practices to scale that Infrastructure as Code (IaC) project in a maintainable way
- Own and ensure that internal and external SLA’s meet and exceed expectations, System centric KPIs are continuously monitored
- Create tools for automating deployment, monitoring, alerting and operations of the overall platform and establish best practices for CI/CD environments and methodologies such as GitOps
- Analyze our AWS/Azure Resource usage to optimize for a balance of performance vs cost
- Work on our data lake, data warehouse, and stream processing systems to create a unified query engine, multi-model databases, analytics extracts and reports, as well as dashboard and visualizations
- Design and build petabyte scale systems for high availability, high throughput, data consistency, security, and end user privacy, defining our next generation of data analytics tooling
- You will mentor other engineers and promote software engineering best practices across the organization designing systems with monitoring, auditing, reliability, and security at their core.
- Come up with solutions for scaling data systems for various business needs and collaborate in a dynamic and consultative environment.
Education & Qualifications
- Minimum 4+ years of software development or DevOps experience with minimum bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
- 4+ years of Cloud IaC with deep expertise in Terraform/Cloudformation & Ansible/Salt deployment and 2+ years of Kubernetes experience focused on DevOps
- Practical experience with Data Engineering and the accompanying DevOps & DataOps workflows.
- A deep understanding of CI/CD tools and a strong desire to help teams release frequently to production with a focus on creating reliable high-quality results.
- Extensive experience building large scale distributed systems and data analytics processes on cloud native, in-memory, and fit-for-purpose hybrid infrastructure. Experience with cybersecurity data and globally distributed log & event processing systems with data mesh and data federation as the architectural core is highly desirable. Knowledge of SIEM platforms like Sentinel, Splunk, Exabeam, Devo, Panther, and SOAR and XDR platforms like Phantom, Defender, GuardDuty, Macie, SIEMplify, desired
- Expertise in DevOps, DevSecOps and emergent experience with DataSecOps and Data Governance practices — deep experience with managing and scaling container-based infrastructure-as-code
technologies from the CNCF and related orbits.
- Experience in big data technologies like Presto/Trino, Spark & Flink, Airflow & Prefect, RedPanda & Kafka, Iceberg & Delta Lake, Cassandra & Scylla, PlanetScale Vitess & CockroachDB, Snowflake & Databricks, MemGraph & Neo4J as well as modern security tooling like Splunk, Panther, Datadog, Elastic, Arcsight etc.
- Experience designing and building data warehouse, data lake or lake house using batch, streaming,
lambda and data mesh solutions and with improving efficiency, scalability, and stability of system
- Knowledge of Dbt, Airflow, Ansible, Argo, or other data pipeline systems; ideally experience building and maintaining a data warehouse and understanding of simple data science workflows and terminology.
- Expertise with either AWS, GCP, Azure, and Services/Tooling such as or similar to: Terraform, Packer, Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, Prometheus, Grafana, Fluent Bit, Istio (Service Mesh)
- Strong background integrating continuous delivery(CD) with Kubernetes using tools such as Argo, GitLab, Spinnaker and strong Git experience, development methodologies, trunk-based develop vs. git flow, etc.
- Strong end-to-end ownership and a good sense of urgency to enable proper self-prioritization
- 8+ years of experience with Python, Java, or similar languages, with cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure), and deep experience working with big data processing infrastructures and cloud architecture
- Deep experience with cloud devops tooling and expertise in container native systems and associated
security and scaling considerations – ability to work with and build tooling that works in a multi/hybrid
cloud environment with modern CI/CD, IaC, DataOps, and DevSecOps best practices.
- Have built and scaled hybrid cloud and streaming data and ML platforms from scratch and are up-to-date with tools and methods for deploying, managing and connecting data mesh in complex enterprise environments
- Experience working or developing Kubernetes autoscaling tools and deep experience with container and cloud security principles
- Deep experience with designing and delivering data platforms with in-built lineage, federation, governance, compliance, security, and privacy.
- Experience with building and delivering MLOps and Data Ops platforms and familiarity with processes for MRM coordination, deployment, and monitoring of production grade ML models in a regulated high-growth tech environment
Why this role is important to us
Our technology function, Global Technology Services (GTS), is vital to State Street and is the key enabler for our business to deliver data and insights to our clients. We’re driving the company’s digital transformation and expanding business capabilities using industry best practices and AI driven, digital-first customer experiences.
We offer a collaborative environment where technology skills and innovation are valued in a global organization. We’re looking for top technical talent to join our team and deliver creative technology solutions that help us become an end-to-end, next-generation financial services company. Join us if you want to grow your technical skills, solve real problems and make your mark on our industry!
About State Street
What we do. State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation we’re making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we’ve been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients.
Work, Live and Grow. We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary in locations, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans among other perks. You’ll have access to flexible Work Program to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential.
Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility. We truly believe our employees’ diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspective are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome the candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift program and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Discover more at StateStreet.com/careers